4.21.2013

From here

Today I visited an dear friend. We chatted, embraced, and checked in with each other. He told me of his weeks. He told me of the new happenings in his life. He relayed all the things he had done and all the many things he had left to check off his list. Then we proceeded to sit on couches, and listen to sweet swirling songs that were both melancholy and hopeful at the same time.

As we listened,
a hushed, peaceful air surrounded us.
And suddenly, I watched as my dear friend slowly lulled off into happy sleep.
At that same moment, I smiled to myself and thought the following:

There is something
     beautiful,
        touching,
           heartwarming,
    and tender

about watching someone you care so deeply for
fall asleep in your presence.

You watch them surrender to fatigue.
You hear their breathing steady,
and watch as their eyelids slowly become the heaviest pair of somethings their sleepy soul has ever crossed paths with.

They depend on you to keep them safe as they become vulnerable right before your eyes.

Without words,
they give you their trust.

It's the unspoken comfortability between friends.
The unspoken faith between two individuals
As they say one to another,

"You keep watch, I'll be back in just a moment."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat.